Accidentally deleted a partition in an attempt make a dual boot system? Relax you can recover your important with ease using Yodot Hard Drive Recovery software for Windows. The software can find and recover data from deleted partitions.
The only undelete application for Mac that can recover deleted files from HFS+, HFSX partitions on Mac. The software also has the ability to recover lost files using RAW signature method.
File Recovery from FAT Drive
FAT file system is used by majority of flash memory media storage devices like pen drive, thumb drive, memory card, memory stick, iPod, MP3 players etc. It can support up to 2TB of memory and is also universally supported by all operating systems including Windows and Mac. It exhibits properties like fast, flexible, space efficient, robust and compatible.
Although FAT file systems are efficient but there can be ample of situations that may cause errors. Some of them are intentional and some are unforeseen. For example, deleting files and folders, formatting the FAT drive, file system corruption, improper shutdown, power failure, operating system corruption, virus infection etc.
Recovery from FAT Drive is possible
After losing or deleting data from a FAT drive, you can still recover them by using a recovery tool. Because after deletion or loss, the data is not deleted permanently. Only the table of content i.e. component of the file system, which stores all the location entries for any file or folder gets erased permanently. So, the data which is lying without any reference can be recovered easily. Most importantly after deletion or formatting do not use the drive, in order to avoid permanent loss of data due to overwriting.
Reasons for loss of data in a FAT Drive
As you know the most common reason for loss of data is mistakenly deleting files either normally or by using "shift + delete" keys. Sometimes we even empty recycle bin without even checking for any important file and sometimes large size files bypasses recycle bin due to size limit after deletion. Another important reason for data loss is formatting. Many times we format our FAT file system in hard drives, memory cards, pen drives, iPod, thumb drives etc.
File system corruption is also an important scenario that leads to severe data loss. Corruption to FAT file system can occur because of partitioning errors and most of the times reason is unknown to you. While using third party tools for creating, re-sizing, removing or converting the file system, sudden error might take place causing data loss. Even sudden system shutdown, power rise or virus infection etc also causes data loss in your FAT drive.
Steps to use the software
- Download and install Yodot File Recovery application to that new computer
- As you run the software, you can find two options in the main screen, i.e. "deleted file recovery" and "lost file recovery"
- Choose any one according to the data loss situation
- After scanning the system, the software will display all the drives present in it. It will also include the removable drives if any
- Select the desired drive from which recovery is to be done
- The recoverable files will be put on view in two different styles, one as "Data type" and other as "File type". "Data type" will show you the actual folder name with its root files and in "File type" view all the files will be listed according to their file extensions
- Toggle between the two view types, to search and select the desired files that you need to recover.
- You can also make use of raw search option, in order to search specific file type.
- If you are searching for deleted files, then make use of "Deleted file" option to view only the deleted files and folders and can make recovery simple and easy
- Store the recovered files to any drive or location but not on the same one from which you are recovering
Tips for recovery from FAT Drive:
- Make sure you are taking regular backup of your data just as a precaution to avoid such data loss incidents
- Be careful when you are deleting multiple files and folders together, as you may accidentally select an important file which you don't wanted to delete
- Always use good antivirus software for your computer