Recover deleted, lost office files, PDF documents, images, database, emails and other file types using the fastest file recovery software for Windows. Download the free trial of the software and evaluate the chances of recovery
Accidentally formatted a partition / drive on Windows. Recover data from accidentally formatted FAT, NTFS partitions and restore them to another healthy partition.
Repair Corrupt Outlook Archive PST File
Microsoft Outlook is the most widely used email client application for storing and managing emails, appointments, notes, RSS feed and other useful elements. These elements are stored in a file called PST (Personal storage Table). As the number of elements and mails increases each day, the size of the PST file also increases. Hence, when it reaches the maximum size limit then the file gets damaged; in order to overcome this issue archiving concept is used.
Outlook provides a feature called archive, using which you can divide emails based on category. The files present in the archive are accessible through MS Outlook just like any other item. This main advantage of using this feature is it reduces the burden on the PST file to a great extent. However archive PST file corruption is also very common, when a archive file gets corrupt it displays many error messages like “Cannot start Outlook”, “Cannot open Outlook window”, “Invalid Xml, the file cannot be loaded” or “The file [path]\archive.pst has reached its maximum size”, indicating the corruption of archive PST file.
How does archive PST file get corrupt?
- Malware Attack: Virus/malware infection on storage drive can damage the archive PST file and other data stored in it
- Application Malfunction: Microsoft Outlook crash due to unknown errors can lead to corruption of Outlook archive PST file
- Software Up-gradation: Upgrading MS Outlook from one version to another version leads to PST file corruption and damages archive file
- Power Failure: Power failure while accessing the archive file also results in archive PST file corruption
- SharingOver Network: Sharing the same PST file over multiple computer networks can sometimes result in corruption of archive PST file
Tools to fix corrupt archive PST file
It is always recommended to use “Inbox Repair Tool” that comes in built with Microsoft Office application to repair your corrupt PST file. Follow the below steps to fix your archive PST file using Inbox Repair Tool:
- Step 1: Open Windows Explorer and browse for the folder where Ms Outlook is installed, by default the location would be “C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office XX,” where “XX” represents Office version number.
- Step 2: Double click on “scanpst.exe”, click on “Browse” button and select your corrupt archive PST file
- Step 3: Click “Start”, the tool scans your archive PST file and displays if any error or corruption is present in the selected file
- Step 4: Tick “Make backup of scanned file before repairing” and click on “Repair” button to start the repair process
However Scanpst.exe tool is found to be ineffective to fix severely damaged/corrupt archive PST file. So in order to repair your severely corrupt PST file, you need to rely on a third party repair application.
Yodot Outlook PST Repair is an easy to use repair utility, which helps you repair severely corrupt/damaged archive PST file in minutes. In addition, the tool has the potential to recover deleted emails, calendars, contacts, journals and many other Outlook elements during the repair process. You can use this utility to repair PST file created by any Outlook version like 2000, 2002, 2003, 2007 and 2010.
Directions to use the software
- Download the repair application and install the software to your Windows computer
- Open the application and start the repair process
- You’ll find three options from the main screen
- Click on “Open PST File” option to select the corrupt PST file, if you know the exact location or
- Use “Find PST File” option to search for your corrupt PST file or
- Make use of “Select Outlook Profile” option to select the PST file, if you have multiple user accounts
- Choose the appropriate scanning technique
- Choose the destination location and click on “Repair” button to start the repair process
- After completion, you will be able to view the repaired Outlook mails and other elements
Things to Remember
- Backup your PST file before performing any repair or upgrade process
- Don’t share your PST file on unknown computer networks
- Avoid improper termination of your MS Outlook PST file