When USB device was connected to Windows 10, there was an error saying the device is not recognized due to malfunction. In Device Manager, this error message appears – “Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)”. What does this indicate, and how to fix it?
Error code 43 occurs when the device hardware or the device driver fails. When this error message is reported with a USB device, then it could probably mean that the device driver alerted the operating system that the device failed. There are many ways to fix this error code 43. Try out these methods to resolve the issue.
Method 1: Restart system
Just unplugging the USB device and plugging it back won’t do the fix. You have to shut down the system and restart it after some time.
- Unplug the USB device from the system
- Turn off the system
- Allow the system to set for a few minutes
- Now restart the system, and plug-in the USB device
If the error still persists, then move to the next method.
Method 2: Update driver
You need to check the driver and update it if necessary. If the drivers are not up to date, you might encounter such issues. So it is better to install the latest drivers. If the current driver is up to date, then uninstall it and reinstall.
Method 3: Diagnose in Device Manager
- Open Device Manager
- Now explore the list of installed devices
- Locate the malfunctioning device from the list of devices, right-click on it and click Uninstall
- Now click OK to confirm uninstalling the device
- In Device Manager, right-click on your computer name and select Scan for hardware changes
(Device Manager will scan the system and reinstall the device automatically)
- Now again right-click on the device and select Properties
- In the General tab of the USB device’s property box, you can see a message which states This device is working properly
Method 4: Restore system
Sometimes, recent changes in Device Manager is also a cause for error. You need to undo the changes made recently in order to fix error code 43. Restoring the system to an earlier version can fix the problem.
So hope these methods are able to resolve the issue. Code 43 error might prevent Windows 10 OS from recognizing the USB device. This makes the USB device data inaccessible. Under such a situation, you need to restore USB device’s data. This is easily possible with the help of Yodot File Recovery tool. This software will recover data from unrecognized flash drive in just a few simple steps. The tool also helps to recover data from USB device after format, corruption, and other data loss scenarios.