A video is the most used up form of content today. You can find videos on almost every topic; thanks to YouTube, Vimeo and hundreds of such sites. But at times, you may find that it is not always convenient to watch them if you don’t have enough time. Wouldn’t it be nice if you could listen to the content without the video? This way you could listen while you are commuting to work, while grocery shopping or at any convenient time.
In this article, we teach you 2 ways to extract audio from an MP4 file. Please note that this technique we’re going to learn here can also be used to extract audio from YouTube videos.
Solution 1: Using VLC Media Player
Extracting audio from MP4 is extremely simple using VLC Media Player. Just download VLC player and get started with the process.
- Open VLC player and click on the Media tab
- Click on Convert/Save to convert or save a file
- Then click on Add to select the MP4 file that you want to extract the audio from. (If it’s a YouTube file, make sure you have it downloaded on your computer before you begin with the process).
- In the next step, choose the output format as MP3
- Save the file to the desired location by clicking on Browse and assign a new name for the converted file
- Finally, click on Save to save the file
Solution 2: Using FFmpeg
This method involves using the command prompt, so you might find it a bit technical. If for some reason, you are unable to use VLC player, you can try this method.
- Download FFmpeg
- After you’ve extracted the files, open the ‘bin’ folder and in the Explorer’s address bar, type ‘cmd’
- Once a command prompt opens in that location, type
‘ffmpeg –i <path of the file.mp4> <path of the file.mp3>’
- After the command is run, you can find the audio file in the location specified in Step 3.
These are 2 easy ways you can use to extract audio from an MP4 file. Once the audio or MP3 file is extracted, use the file to listen to your favorite show while you’re shopping or at any other convenient time.
These methods may not be successful if your file is corrupted or damaged. If you find that your file is corrupt and has trouble playing, it can be repaired using professional tools such as Yodot Repair Software.
The repair process is simple and involves only 3 steps. After you download the software, select your corrupt MP4 file and hit Repair. That’s it! The software will repair corrupt MP4 files and saves it in a specified location. Check out a free trial today! So, repair your corrupt file and make sure it is in good condition before you try extracting audio from it.