Outlook not syncing? Worried about how to sync your emails in Outlook? Don’t worry, this piece of information has everything you need to know about how to fix sync issues in Outlook
Outlook is a widely used mail service in many organizations because of its unique features like flagging, color coding, and calendar function enabling scheduling of appointments, meetings, etc., compared to other email services. However, at times you’ll encounter sync issues in Outlook which can be irritating and might even lead to a loss of emails. You need not worry in the below sections we have covered what caused the Outlook 365 sync issues and the solutions to fix Outlook email sync errors.
What Caused Sync Issues in Outlook?
- Huge size OST file
- Inconsistent Add-ins
- Corrupted Outlook profile
- Problems while sending or receiving emails
- Microsoft Outlook sync issues can be caused by hardware or software
Before you proceed to the methods to fix Outlook email sync issues, we recommend you to take backup of your Outlook data. Some of the methods mentioned in this article might ask you to rebuild or repair your Outlook data file. Hence, it is recommended to safely backup your Outlook data manually or using a professional Outlook backup software.
Checklist Before Proceeding With the Solutions:
I recommend you to guys to follow the quick checklist before you guys go ahead with the methods mentioned below:
- Ensure that you removed the unnecessary filters on the inbox settings.
- Once log out and again log in to your Outlook account
- Try increasing sending and receiving limit
- Check whether the inbox is full
- Check the junk folder
10 Quick Ways to Resolve Outlook Sync Issues
Table of contents:
Method 1: Check the Network Connection
The poor network connection or firewall settings lead to Outlook not syncing issue. And further, the firewall settings will prevent Outlook from synchronizing the mail items which is stored in the IMAP OST files to the mailbox server. To get rid of this issue make sure you have an active network connection.
Method 2: Verify Sync issues using Test Account Settings
Follow the steps below to test your Outlook account using the test account settings feature:
- Go to the File option and click on Account Settings → Account Settings → Change Account Tab and after verifying the Test Account Settings box click on the Next button
- Now Outlook will check the account settings and notify you when everything is fine, once you receive the notification, hit Close and click the Finish button
- Finally, restart Outlook and check if the Outlook won’t sync issue is solved.
Method 3: Empty The “Sync Issues or Local failures” Folder
Empty the Sync Issues or Local Failures folder if you can’t synchronize the Outlook folders and you have to make this folder visible in order to see it. Follow the below-mentioned steps to make the folder visible:
- Click on the three dots which is present at the bottom left corner and select Folders
- The sync issues folder will be available in the All Outlook Items tab
- Press the + button to view three folders – Conflicts, Local Failures, and Server Failures
- Select all the messages in the Sync Issues folder and remove the messages and exit the Outlook
Method 4: Resolve Outlook Sync Issues by Repairing Outlook Account
The Outlook emails not syncing issue happens because of the problem with your Outlook profile. Follow the steps below to repair your Outlook account and fix Outlook email sync issues.
- Go to the File Menu on your Outlook
- Click on Account Settings → Account Settings now
- Select the mail account and hit Repair, verify the details, and click Next
- Outlook will repair your mail account and restart Outlook to check whether the issue is solved or not.
Method 5: Fix Sync Issues in Outlook by Removing Incompatible Add-Ins
Incompatible add-ins lead to Outlook 365 sync issues. Remove the incompatible add-ins by the steps given below:
- Launch the Outlook application
- Click on File from the dropdown menu
- Proceed to Info and then Options
- Click Add-ins which is in the pop-up window
- Next, go to Manage → COM and hit the GO button.
- Finally, restart the Outlook application.
Method 6: Fix Synchronization Errors in Outlook by Creating a New Outlook Profile
Create a new profile and set the mail account below that new profile. So that it might fix the Microsoft Outlook sync issues
Here are the steps to create a new profile in Outlook:
- Launch the Control Panel and click on Mail → Show Profiles → Add
- Give a new profile name and hit OK
- Configure the IMAP or Office 365 mail account and hit Next → Finish
- Choose Always use this profile and later click the newly set up Outlook profile from the dropdown menu
- Select OK and restart the Outlook
Method 7: Fix Outlook Sync Issues by Resyncing the Mail Folders
The messages which are in the Sync Issues Folder may show a problem with a particular folder. Resync the mail folders by following the steps:
- Choose Properties by right-clicking on the folder
- Select Clear Offline Items and click on OK
- Once you cleared the offline items, Select the Update Folder option below the Send/Receive tab.
Method 8: Upgrade the Outlook on Windows to Fix Outlook Not Syncing Error
Using an older version of Outlook can cause Outlook won’t sync issue. Upgrade Outlook to fix the error.
- Open Outlook and click on File Menu → Office Account
- Click on Update Options and select Update Now to update Outlook to the latest version
Method 9: Rebuild the Outlook Data File (OST)
Sometimes you might be getting Outlook sync issue because of the faulty OST file, follow the below steps to fix this issue by rebuilding the OST file:
- Open Outlook, go to File → Account Settings → and again Account Settings and select the Data File tab
- Select the mail account and hit Open File Location to open the folder location where the default OST resides
- Close Outlook and backup the default OST file
- Once the backup is over, delete the OST and start Outlook, the new OST file will be recreated.
Method 10: Use ScanPST.exe
- Open Scanpst.exe and select the Corrupt Outlook Data File to repair, if errors are there Scanpst tool will display them
- To repair the corrupt data file, click on the Repair button.
Note: The tool will repair file sizes up to 2 GB.
Corrupt Outlook Data File Causing Sync Issues? Read here
If you are certain that the Outlook sync issue is because of corrupt Outlook data file, it is recommended to repair your PST file. We recommend you to make use of Yodot Outlook PST Repair tool which can help you recover both PST and OST file in no time. It can get back all your email along with its attributes like attachments, drafts, email folders, etc. and also other Outlook attributes such as calendar items, contacts, tasks, etc. Download and try the tool to fix Outlook email sync issues in no time.
Steps to Fix the Corrupt Outlook Data File Using the Software:
- Download and Install the Yodot Outlook PST Repair tool on your Windows system to repair the corrupt Outlook Data File.
- On the main window click on Open PST File – if you know the location of the PST file (or) select Find PST File – if you can’t find the location of the PST file (or) Select Outlook Profile – if you have multiple Outlook profiles.
- Click on Normal Scan for a minor corruption (or) if the corruption is severe click on Smart Scan, choose a destination to save the healthy PST file, and click on Repair Button
- Once the repair process is completed, the tool will display the retrieved items in an Outlook-styled interface.
- Select the items and click on Save
We have covered the best methods to fix Outlook sync issues. Make use of the methods effectively to fix the issue, if the problem is not solved by the manual ways to fix the Outlook sync issue then the sync issue might happened because of corruption. If that is the case fix the corrupted Outlook data file with the Yodot Outlook PST Repair tool.