Reasons why you would want to reformat a USB or SD card
You may want to reformat a USB drive for various reasons and here we begin this article by explaining them.
- Usually, when you buy a USB drive, it is formatted using the FAT32 file system by default. This is perfect for use with Windows PC’s because Windows PC’s are designed to work well with FAT32. However, with Mac’s things are a little different. Although Mac systems are designed to read and write to USB’s with FAT32, it does not provide the best experience and you may run into problems at times. In order to overcome this issue, you can reformat the USB using a file system like HFS+ that is Mac friendly.
- If your USB or SD card has been hit by a virus, things may not work as expected even if the virus has been removed. In that case, reformatting is the best option.
- If your USB drive or SD card is corrupt and other troubleshooting steps like CHKDSK don’t work, then re-formatting is pretty much the only choice you have. Although this step will delete all data on the USB, it is a good option to repair the USB drive provided you have a backup.
Now that we have understood the reasons for re-formatting a USB, let us proceed to understand how to actually reformat the USB drive or SD card in Mac.
How to reformat the USB drive using Mac Disk Utility
Reformatting a USB flash drive or SD card is simple using Mac’s Disk Utility tool. To reformat a USB drive, follow the steps below. But before we proceed it is a good idea to back up everything on the USB drive as reformatting will delete all data on it.
- Click on Finder in the dock and select Applications
- Then select Utilities > Disk Utility
- Choose your USB drive or SD card on the left side menu and click Erase
- Next, choose a name for the drive and a suitable file system
- Click on Security Options if you’d like to set how you want to delete your files. Move the slider to the right to delete files more securely. Doing this will make sure files cannot be recovered easily after re-formatting
- Finally, click on Erase
Data recovery from USB stick or SD cards using Yodot recovery software
Your USB devices or SD cards may not work perfectly in all situations. You may encounter situations where it fails to mount or becomes inaccessible. In such cases, it is best to recover data from such devices using Yodot data recovery software and then proceed with other troubleshooting steps. If you are having trouble with your SD card not mounting, refer this link to recover data and get tips on resolving the error.
Yodot is a wonderful all-in-one data recovery tool to recover data from a variety of storage devices like USB sticks, SD cards, and external hard drives etc. It can be used in multiple data loss situations like corruption, device inaccessibility, virus attacks and many more. Moreover, all your images and videos of various formats can be recovered using this fantastic tool.
If you have encountered data loss and looking for recovery options, download a trial of Yodot and recover your data for free. Try today!