Sometimes you may encounter errors such as ‘The volume on SD card does not contain a recognized file system. Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted’.
What the error means and reasons for the error?
This error is a symptom of the RAW file system and implies that the file system is not recognized by the OS. This happens when the pointers to the file system type or location is corrupted.
Since the OS does not see any file system in the partition, it may prompt you to format the drive. At this stage, please do not format your drive. Formatting will clear all contents from your drive and make data recovery difficult.
One of the main reasons for this error is removing the memory card when the camera is turned on. Chances are the camera is still reading/writing files on the card and abruptly removing it can cause corruption.
Similar is the case with computers. Unsafe removal of SD card from your system can cause data corruption and in worse cases, risk the integrity of the storage device.
To troubleshoot the error, it is advisable to recover data from the RAW drive using professional tools like Yodot Software and then run Disk Repair tool to fix any corruption issues.
How Yodot Recovery Software works?
Yodot Photo Recovery software is a great tool to recover data from RAW drives. It can also be used with corrupt and inaccessible drives. It uses robust scanning algorithms and scans the drive sector by sector to retrieve data. It works on a read-only mechanism, so your original data remains altered during the recovery process.
Sometimes your Mac may fail to detect the SD card. In such cases please use the guide Mac won’t read SD card.
More on Yodot Photo Recovery
- Recovers a variety of media files such as photos, videos, audio etc.
- Works with all versions of Mac including the latest High Sierra
- Supports recovery from all Mac devices such as MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, Mac Mini etc.
- All major brands of memory cards such as Lexar, SanDisk, Kingston etc. are supported
- File systems such as HFS, HFSX, NTFS, FAT16 etc. are supported
- In addition to your memory cards, the tool can also be used with external drives, USB’s and other storage devices.
Simple steps to recover data from SD card with unrecognized file system
Recovering data is easy with Yodot software. To start with, download and install Yodot Mac Photo Recovery on your system and connect your SD card.
- From the main screen, select Recover Photos
- There are 2 options- Deleted Photo Recovery and Lost Photo Recovery. Select an appropriate option and click on Next
- Select your SD card from all available drives are listed
- The software scans your drive and lists all recovered files
- You can use the preview option to view your files
- Save the required files to the desired location
Run Repair Disk
Now that you have recovered data from your drive, run Repair Disk to fix any corruption issues. To do so,
- Connect your SD card to the system
- In the Finder, choose Go > Utilities. The /Applications/ Utility folder will open
- Select the SD card from the left menu and click on the First Aid tab
- Click on Verify Disk on the lower right corner
You will find details about your drive’s health. Any errors will be indicated in red. If you receive such error messages, choose the Repair Disk button to start the repair process. This will repair your disk. But if the disk is severely damaged, this process may result in data loss. Hence, it is advised to recover data from the disk before attempting to fix the error.
How to care for your memory card?
- Always remove the memory card after the camera is turned off.
- If you have to use your memory card on multiple devices/cameras, it is a good idea to format it before use.
- Always format your card on the camera, not on your computer
- Please do not delete photos in the middle of a shoot. There is a risk of data corruption if you do so.
- Never shoot in your camera when the battery is low