“I created an important MP4 video file using Camtasia Studio. The video played well in Camtasia Studio player but, not on Windows Media Player. The WMP cannot play the video of my MP4 file. How to fix it?”
MP4 is a well-known video file format that can be played on various devices and media players. However, your Windows Media Player may fail to play these MP4 videos or you might experience video or audio playback issues in the file.
Why MP4 File Does Not Show Video With Windows Media Player?
According to Microsoft’s list of file types supported by Windows Media Player, it is clear that Windows Media Player 7, WMP for Windows XP, WMP 9 Series, and Windows Media Player 10/11 don’t support the MP4 file format.
Even though Windows Media Player 12 plays MP4 videos, it doesn’t support playback of all MP4 file formats.
MP4 is a container format that comprises multiple video and audio streams. In case, the video or audio streams are encoded by codecs that are not supported by WMP 12, then Windows Media Player won’t play your MP4 video files or you encounter issues like sound not playing, no video, other synchronization issues, or all of these.
How to Make Windows Media Player Play MP4 Video?
To fix the MP4 file that does not show video with the Windows Media Player problem you can follow below step-by-step procedure.
Solution 1# Install Codecs for WMP
First, check for the latest updates available for your Windows using the Automatic Updates option. Automatic Updates will download and install new/required codecs for your Windows. To install Windows Updates, go to the Start menu, click on the Control Panel, and select Windows Updates. If you see any latest or recommended updates, install it.
To Install Automatic Updates in WMP,
- Open Windows Media Player and select Tools
- Click on Options and switch to the Player tab
- Under Automatic updates, check Once a day and click OK
To Install Necessary Codecs in WMP for Your MP4 Files,
- Launch Windows Media Player, go to Tools, and select Options
- Under the Player tab, choose Download codecs automatically and hit OK
- Play the MP4 file, click the Install button when you are asked to install the codec
Solution 2# Convert MP4 Videos Using Windows Media Player
Convert MP4 file to Windows Media Player supportive file formats using the below steps.
Note: Try these steps on a copy of your MP4 video file.
- Open your MP4 file in Windows Media Player, click on Organize and select Options
- Switch to the Rip Music section, click on the Change button and mention the destination location to save the converted video file
- In Rip settings, under Format select MP3 and hit the OK button
Now, you can play the converted MP4 video file in Windows Media Player without any difficulty.
Solution 3# Run the Troubleshooter
To resolve .mp4 videos not playing in Windows Media Player you can run Troubleshooter. Windows 10/11 comes with a troubleshooter that can check the configuration and network setting that might be preventing the MP4 video files or movies from playing on Windows Media Player.
Steps to run the troubleshooter:
- Open Windows Setting by pressing on Windows + I keys.
- Click on the Update & Security option and click on Troubleshoot from the left column.
- Search for Video Playback and click on it.
- Select Run the troubleshooter.
If you get the message saying that no changes or updates were necessary, move to the next method below.
Solution 4# Turn Off DirectX Video Acceleration For WMV Files
- Open Windows Media Player.
- Click on Organize button and select Options.
- Click on the Performace tab and disable Turn on DirectX Video Acceleration for WMV files.
- Click on Apply and select OK to save changes.
- Restart the Windows Media Player.
Sometimes, MP4 video files don’t show video in Windows Media Player or WMP cannot play the video clip at all if, the video file is damaged or corrupted. In that case, try to play your unplayable MP4 file in other players like VLC media player, KM player, GOM Media Player, etc.
If you cannot play the video in any of the players, then repair the corrupt MP4 video files using a recommended video repair software like Yodot MOV Repair in a few easy steps. This powerful video repair tool efficiently repairs broken or damaged MP4, MOV, and M4V video file formats in a hassle-free way. So, get the free download of this video repair software and fix your MP4 video files with ease.
Hopefully, now you have complete knowledge of what to do when MP4 files won’t play on Windows Media Player.