How to Transfer Outlook Email Folder?
“I use Outlook 2003 and since Microsoft has stopped providing technical support to Outlook 2003 I need to upgrade it to higher version. Before upgrading the application I heard that I need to take backup of entire PST file if necessary or only the emails and other required stuff on Outlook. I don’t know much about moving Outlook data especially the email folders. Will copy pasting the folder do the work or should I follow any other procedure? Please help me out.”
Mail data in Microsoft Outlook will be saved in .pst file on system hard drive. This file contains number of emails (sent, received, saved, deleted), email folders, contact email IDs, notes, etc. When user prefers to move this PST data he/she might struggle to do it because the process takes plenty of time and requires prior knowledge about how to conduct the process. Moving Outlook data like emails or email folder turns out to be necessary in many circumstances, often in below mentioned scenarios:
- Reinstalling Windows OS to get rid of OS issues, slow performance of system and other malfunctioning
- Hard drive formatting due to format error, file system corruption or boot sector (MBR) corruption
- Migrating Outlook from older to newer version
- When giving away the old computer to buyers or family members
- Replacing old hard drive on computer with new one
In these instances, one may have to export Outlook data to different storage drive. Manual or conventional method of exporting Outlook email folders is not easy because occurrence of any error or interruption can result to corrupt data. Hence, it is always better to prefer reliable Outlook data transfer tool.
Recommended software to export Outlook email folders:
Yodot Move Outlook PST is the relevant program to easily transfer Outlook PST data to different environment on Windows systems. This tool is targeted to move PST data including emails, emails folders, tasks, Journals, contacts, calendar events, rules, alerts, etc. with much ease. User can even schedule the process of backing up PST data automatically using this software. User with minimum knowledge about MS Outlook can also use this application to export PST mail items along with account settings. This utility can be implemented on Windows OS based computers like Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, Windows Server 2008 and Server 2003.
Follow these steps to move Outlook email folder:
- On your Windows system, download and install the software
- Run the application after complete installation and wait till main screen appears
- In main screen click on ‘Backup’ option and then select ‘Advance Backup’ to choose required email folders
- To move entire PST file items, you need to choose ‘Smart Backup’ option
- Now, save the backup file to a known location on computer drive and close the application
- In case of exporting email folders to another Outlook on different computer, transfer the backup file onto second computer using USB drive and, install and run the software on that system too
- Else, if you are trying to export email folders to upgraded version of Outlook then upgrade the version and again run the same software
- Now in main window, click on ‘Migrate’ option and select the backup file that contains email folder
- Click next and complete the process
- Outlook will configure the exported Outlook email folders to existing Profile on the computer
- Taking backup of Outlook PST file is recommended to avoid any kind of data loss / corruption issues
- Read the instructions thoroughly before proceeding with each step