Are you experiencing problems opening Microsoft Office on Windows 10? Don’t worry; in this article, we will be providing a few possible solutions to fix MS Office not opening on Windows 10 error.
First, ensure that your computer is up to date and that you have installed the latest version of Microsoft Office. Additionally, check to see if you have any malware or spyware installed. Finally, if you’re still having trouble opening Office, no worries; this article explains six reliable methods to help you fix the Microsoft Office not opening error on Windows 10.
Table of Contents:
- Method 1: Open MS Office from the Installed Location
- Method 2: Run the MS Office apps in safe mode
- Method 3: Using the Repair Wizard
- Method 4: Update the MS Office
- Method 5: Disable Add-ins From MS Office
- Method 6: Reinstall Your MS Office
How to Fix MS Office Not Opening on Windows 10 Issue?
Method 1: Open MS Office from the Installed Location
MS Office desktop shortcuts may not work correctly. Therefore, Microsoft Office will not open. So to get around this, you can open the application from the source file described below.
- Right-click the app shortcut and go to Properties.
- In the Properties window, go to the Advanced tab.
- Locate the application source using the folder path.
- Navigate to the source location and try to run the application from there.
Method 2: Run MS Office apps in safe mode
If Microsoft Office does not open in normal mode, try opening it in safe mode. A weakened version of the application can help solve this problem. To run MS Office in safe mode, follow these steps:
1. Press the Windows + R keys together to open the Run dialog box.
2. Enter the name of your application and add /safe. Then click OK.
Note: A space is required between the app name and /safe.
Example: Excel /safe
3. This will automatically open the desired app in safe mode.
Method 3: Using the Repair Wizard
Specific applications in MS Office may be missing some components or may have problems with registry files that prevent Microsoft Office from opening in Windows 10. To fix the same issue, run the repair wizard.
1. Open the Windows search bar, type Control Panel, and launch it.
2. Set View By > Category and click the Uninstall a Program option under Programs as highlighted.
3. Right-click the Microsoft Office program and select Change.
4. Select the Quick Repair option and click Repair.
5. Follow the on-screen repair wizard to complete the process.
Method 4: Update the MS Office to Fix Office Not Opening on Windows 10
Due to continuous Windows updates, older versions of MS Office become incompatible. So, overhauling MS Office services can help fix Microsoft Office not opening Windows 10.
Follow the below steps To update your MS Office to the latest version:
1. Open the desired application, for example, MS Word.
2. Click on the File option from the upper left corner of the screen.
3. Select Account from the menu that appears.
4. Here, click Update Options next to Office Updates.
5. Now, click on the Update Now option.
6. Follow the Update Wizard.
7. Do the same for other MS Office Suite apps too.
Method 5: Disable Add-ins From MS Office
Add-ins are small tools that you can add to your MS Office applications. Each application has different add-ins. These add-ins can overload MS Office and prevent Microsoft Office from opening on Windows 10. So removing them or temporarily disabling them helps. Open the desired application (MS Word) and click File.
1. Open the File Menu in MS Word and go to Options.
2. Now, click on the Add-ins, and from the Manage dropdown menu, select the COM Add-ins.
3. Now uncheck the add-ins you have installed and hit the OK button.
4. Restart the application and check if it opens & works properly.
Method 6: Reinstall Your MS Office 365/2019/2016/2013 to fix MS Office Not Opening on Windows 10
If the above method does not work, try uninstalling and reinstalling MS Office.
Alert: Only implement this method if you have the required MS Office installation disc or product code.
1. Go to Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a program.
2. Right-click the Microsoft Office program and select Uninstall.
3. Follow the uninstall wizard instructions.
4. Reinstall Microsoft Office 365/2019/2016/2013 using your product code or installation disc.
We hope this article helps you to fix the Microsoft Office not opening on Windows 10 error.