OST file is an offline folder; all work done on Outlook when server is unavailable will be stored on OST file. OST file can be accessed by the Outlook profile by which it is created. This OST file can get corrupt due to various reasons and prompts “cannot Access OST file in Outlook” error. Main reasons for OST file corruption are –
- Interruption while synchronizing OST file with Exchange server
- Faulty add-ins
- Outlook malfunction
- Terminating Outlook abruptly
- Virus infection
There are other reasons too, but the main question is how to deal with OST file corruption? To know the techniques to fix OST file corruption, read this page.
Inbuilt Microsoft OST Repair Tool
You can fix corrupted OST file by using built in tool provided in Outlook. If you are using Outlook 2000 and 2003, then search for Detect and Repair tool to repair OST file. In Outlook 2007, you have to look for Diagnostics tool (scanost.exe). Microsoft Outlook 2010 and 2013 comes with Repair button to fix the damaged OST file. In Outlook 2016, you can use scanpst.exe to mend OST file.
Recreating OST File
Creating replica of corrupted OST file, it is possible to solve “Cannot open OST file in Outlook”. Here are the steps to recreate the OST file
- Close Microsoft Outlook
- Then, go to Control Panel and click on Mail option
- Select the Outlook profile and press Properties
- Select Email Accounts option
- Select Data Files tab and select Exchange Account
- Press Open File Location
- Close Account Settings and Mail Setup window
- Now, go back to File Explorer window, select the Exchange Account and right click on that
- Next, hit Delete button
- It will delete the current OST file, upon opening Outlook, you will get the new OST file
Update OST folder
By updating OST folder, you will be able to fix cannot access OST file in Outlook issue. To do so,
- Select OST folder and right click on that to select Properties
- Select Clear Offline Items option under dialog box and hit Ok
- Now, on the ribbon, go to the Send/Receive option and click on Update Folder button
OST to PST Conversion
If all the above mentioned methods fail to fix the issue, then the last option is to convert it to PST file to solve the problem. To convert your OST to PST file and to solve cannot access OST file error, Yodot OST to PST tool comes handy. The tool converts corrupted OST file to PST file and recovers all your emails, Contacts, Email attachments, Calendar Items, Tasks, Journals etc. Yodot also offers PST Repair tool to fix corrupted PST file. Also, it helps to repair PST cannot be found error and other errors associated with Outlook PST file.
Instead of worrying about your OST file after corruption, it is better to take precaution to avoid corruption issues. Make sure that there is no network problem while synchronizing OST to Exchange server and use reliable antivirus software to keep your computer away from any virus or malicious software.