In this article, we are going to discuss an error ‘Unable to execute files in the temporary directory. Setup aborted. Error 5: Access is denied’. This error normally occurs when you try to install software on your computer. Although it is most commonly known to occur on Windows 7, it is seen on other Windows versions as well.
The main reasons for this error are insufficient privileges to install programs or issues with the temporary directory. Now let us see how to resolve this error using some simple and effective solutions.
Solution 1: Use the administrator login
- Go to the .exe file you are trying to install and right click on it
- Select Run as administrator from the menu
- Enter the administrator login credentials and install the program
Although this is not a permanent fix for the Error 5, it is a good workaround if you’re having a time crunch when installing programs.
Solution 2: Create a new temp folder
If you look at the error message in detail, it indicates that there is some issue with the temporary folder. In order to resolve this problem, create a new temporary directory and change the variables pointing to it by following the steps below.
- Go to ‘C:’ drive and create a new folder named Temp
- Right click on ‘My Computer’ or ‘This PC’ and select Properties
- Click on the Advanced System Settings link
- Then click on the Advanced tab in System Properties window that opens
- Then click on Environment Variables > User Variables
- Double click on TMP and if the value is ‘%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp’, change it to ‘C:\Temp’
- Save the changes and close the Properties window
Now try installing the program, if you’re able to do it without any issues, the error is resolved. If not, proceed to the next step.
Solution 3: Assign Full control to the Temp folder
- Go to the C: > Users > Your username > AppData > Local
- In the Local folder, find Temp folder and right click on it
- Select Properties > Security
- Click on Everyone and select Edit > Add
- In the section to enter names, type ‘Everyone’ and click Ok
- Then click on Full Control and save the changes
Following these steps will give full control to all users in your system and that should help you resolve Error 5. We hope one of these solutions help you resolve the error and that you are able to install programs successfully.
Data recovery using Yodot file recovery software
Most of us have encountered data loss scenarios at some point or another. Whether you lost data accidentally, due to third-party software or during Cut and paste operations, they can all be recovered using Yodot file recovery software. It is a wonderful tool to recover deleted or lost files from your system, external hard drive, USB flash drive, and other storage devices. You can also use the tool to recover deleted files from the desktop. Moreover, the software is easy to use and available for a free download. Try today!