MP4 (or MPEG-4 part 14) is a multimedia file format that stores and distributes video and audio content. MP4 is the most commonly used video file format among all the video formats, for about 42% of people use MP4 video format. In addition, over 3.5 billion smartphone users globally use MP4 videos.
Almost all video players support MP4, which uses compression to reduce the video’s file size by maintaining the quality of the video and audio playback.
The chart below shows why MP4 plays an essential role in the video industry.
Reasons Why MP4 is the Most Preferred Format
Here are some other reasons why MP4 is the most preferred format:
- Small file size: MP4 is a highly compressed format that can significantly reduce the size of video files without sacrificing quality. This makes it an ideal online video streaming and sharing format, as it allows for faster upload and download times and reduces the strain on bandwidth.
- DRM support: MP4 supports Digital Rights Management (DRM) technology, which allows content creators to protect their intellectual property and prevent unauthorized distribution of their videos. This is an essential feature for the video industry, as it helps content creators monetize their work and continue producing high-quality videos.
- Accessibility: MP4 supports closed captioning, audio descriptions, and other accessibility features that make videos more accessible to people with disabilities. This is an essential consideration for the video industry, as it helps to ensure that all audiences can enjoy and benefit from video content.
- Interoperability: MP4 is an open standard supported by a wide range of software applications and devices, making it an ideal format for interoperability between different platforms. This allows for greater video production and distribution flexibility and ensures that content can be easily shared and played across other devices and software applications.
- Multimedia Features: MP4 supports various multimedia features such as subtitles, metadata, and chapters. These features enhance the overall user experience by providing additional information and navigation options.
- Efficient Storage and Transmission: MP4 files are relatively smaller in size compared to other formats, making them efficient for storage and transmission. This is particularly beneficial for mobile devices with limited storage capacity and for faster uploading and downloading of videos.
Although MP4 has the above advantages, like any other video format, MP4 video gets corrupt because of various reasons like virus attacks, missing codec, improper video transfer, etc. let’s understand the reason for corrupt MP4 video.
Why Do MP4 Files Get Corrupt?
|Incomplete File Transfer:||Interruption while transferring video from one device to another causes corruption in MP4 videos|
|Sudden Shutdown of PC:||Corruption in MP4 happens If your computer shuts down unexpectedly while working on a video.|
|Virus Attacks:||If your laptop is infected with a virus, it might damage the MP4 video.|
|Codec Issues:||Codec issues can cause MP4 video files to become corrupt or unplayable. This can happen if the media player used to play the video does not have the required codec installed.|
|Unsupported Video Format:||Attempting to play an MP4 file with an incompatible media player can cause the file to become corrupt and unplayable.|
Symptoms of MP4 Video Getting Corrupted
Here are some common symptoms of a corrupt MP4 video file:
- The video player shows an error message that the media player cannot play the video.
- The video plays choppy or slow.
- The video player freezes while trying to play the MP4 video.
- Pixelated video
- Audio video out of sync
- Missing codec
Methods to repair corrupt MP4 video
Here, we have mentioned various methods to repair corrupt MP4 videos, covering both DIY methods and video repair software.
How to repair corrupt MP4 video using the Yodot video repair tool
Yodot Video Repair is a software tool designed to fix corrupted or damaged MP4 video files. The software uses advanced algorithms to repair video files that are not playing properly due to various issues, such as file header corruption and codec issues.
To use Yodot Video Repair, you must first download and install the software on your computer. Once installed, you can launch the software and select the corrupt MP4 file you want to repair. The software will then analyze the file and attempt to fix any issues causing playback problems.
Steps to repair corrupt MP4 files using the Yodot video repair tool
Step 1: Download and install the Yodot Video Repair tool on your computer.
Step 2: Open the tool and select the corrupt MP4 file you want to repair.
Step 3: Choose a reference MOV file for better repair accuracy.
Step 4: Click on the “Repair” button to start the repair process.
Step 5: Preview the repaired MP4 file to check if it’s fixed.
Step 6: If satisfied, click “Save” to save the repaired file to your computer.
Features of Yodot MP4 Repair include:
- Support repairing MP4 files created on various devices, including smartphones, cameras, and more.
- Ability to repair files not playing due to errors in the file header, codec issues, audio-video sync issues, and other problems.
- Option to preview the repaired file before saving it to ensure it is properly repaired.
- Simple and user-friendly interface that makes using the software easy even with limited technical knowledge.
Method 2: How To Repair MP4 with VLC?
If you still want to use the VLC media player to fix corrupted MP4 video files, use the below methods.
Repair MP4 Videos Using VLC
There are 3 methods in VLC where you can repair minor corruption in MP4 video
1. Repair corrupt MP4 video using convert/save
Using the “Convert/Save” feature in media players can help repair corrupt MP4 videos by converting them to a different format and saving them.
Step 1: Open VLC
Step 2: Go to the media player and click on convert/save
Step 3: Click on Add and insert the corrupt MP4 video
Step 4: Select the destination and codec from the dropdown
Step 5: Click on the start
2. Change Cache Values in the VLC player to repair corrupt MP4 video
Changing cache values in the VLC player can help repair corrupt MP4 videos by adjusting the buffering settings for smoother playback and potential error correction.
Here are the steps to change the cache value
Step 1: Open the VLC media player
Step 2: Go to tools and click on preferences
Step 3: Click on all display swings under Show settings
Step 4: Click on the input codec and select the advanced option
Step 5: Now, increase the cache value to 1000
Step 6: Click on save and restart the application
3. Modify the output settings
Adjusting output settings in a media player can fix corrupt MP4 videos and improve playback quality.
Step 1: Select preferences in the VLC and click on the video.
Step 2: Now, in the video settings, click on the drop-down and select output automatically change it to direct video output.
Step 3: Click on save to save the settings and restart the VLC media player
Yodot Video Repair software VS VLC Media Player
Yodot Video Repair and VLC are different software applications that serve different purposes in the video industry.
Yodot Video Repair tool is software designed to fix corrupted, damaged, or unplayable video files. It supports various video formats, including MP4, MOV, AVI, and more. The software uses advanced algorithms to repair video files and can fix various issues, such as audio sync problems, video freezes, and choppy playback.
On the other hand, VLC is a media player primarily used for playing back videos and other media videos. It supports a wide range of video and audio formats and offers advanced features like subtitle support, video playback speed control, and the ability to stream online content.
While Yodot Video Repair and VLC are used in the video industry, they serve different purposes. Yodot Video Repair is used for repairing corrupted or damaged video files, while VLC is primarily used for playing back video files. If you have a corrupted or damaged video file that cannot be played back in VLC, you may consider using Yodot Video Repair to fix the file.
In conclusion, there are several methods available for repairing corrupt MP4 videos. One option is to use the “Convert/Save” feature in media players like VLC to save the file in a different format. Another approach involves adjusting cache values in the VLC player for improved playback. Modifying output settings, including video codec and resolution, can also help. Alternatively, utilizing specialized software like Yodot Video Repair can be effective in repairing corrupt MP4 videos.
Frequently Asked Questions:
The success of repairing a severely damaged MP4 video file depends on the extent and nature of the damage. Specialized video repair software may have a higher chance of recovering data from severely damaged files.
The time required to repair a corrupt MP4 video file can vary depending on the file size, the extent of corruption, and the software or method used for repair. Larger files and severe corruption may take longer to repair.
To change cache values in VLC Media Player, go to the preferences or settings menu, navigate to the Input/Codecs section, and adjust the file caching value to a higher number. This can help improve playback and potentially resolve issues in the MP4 video.