Most video file formats are supported by the VLC media player, one of the most widely used players. However, even though VLC can play MP4 files, there are times when the video won’t play smoothly or some video files won’t play.
Why is my VLC Not Playing MP4 Video File?
There are several reasons why an MP4 video may not play in a VLC media player. Here are some of the common causes and their corresponding solutions:
1. Outdated version of VLC: If you are using an older version of the VLC media player, it may not support the latest version of the MP4 codec. Try updating to the newest version of VLC to see if this resolves the issue.
2. Corrupted video file: If the MP4 video file is corrupted, VLC may be unable to play it. Try playing a different video file to see if VLC is working correctly. If the issue persists, try using a video repair tool to fix any corruption in the MP4 file.
3. Incorrect codecs: If the MP4 file was created with a codec that VLC does not support, it might not play in VLC. You can check the codec used in the MP4 file and see if VLC supports it. Alternatively, you can convert the MP4 file to a different format that VLC supports.
4. Audio or video codecs missing: Sometimes, VLC may only play the audio or video in an MP4 file if the necessary codecs are included in your computer. You can download and install the required codecs or play the MP4 file in a different media player with the necessary codecs.
5. Operating system compatibility: If you use an older or unsupported operating system, such as Windows XP, VLC may not work correctly. Try upgrading to a newer operating system or using a different media player compatible with your operating system.
Overall, there are several reasons why an MP4 video may not play in a VLC media player. Try these solutions to see if they resolve the issue.
How to Fix MP4 Not Playing on VLC?
Update VLC Media Player:
Make sure you are using the latest version of the VLC media player. If you are using an older version, it may not support the newest version of the MP4 codec.
Here are the steps to update the VLC media player to the latest version:
- First, open the VLC media player on your computer.
- Click “Help” in the top menu bar and select “Check for Updates.”
- If a new version of VLC is available, you will be prompted to download and install it. Click on “Yes” to download the update.
- Wait for the download to complete, then click on “Install” to begin the installation process.
- Follow the prompts to install the latest version of the VLC media player on your computer.
Once the installation is complete, open the VLC media player and verify that the latest version is installed.
Install the Necessary Codecs to Fix VLC Not Playing MP4 Video File:
Make sure the necessary audio and video codecs are installed on your computer. You can install codecs like K-Lite Codec Pack to help VLC play different file formats.
Run the installer for the codec pack and follow the on-screen instructions to install it on your computer.
- Restart VLC media player: After installing the codec pack, restart the VLC media player to ensure the new codec is recognized.
- Test the MP4 file: Try playing the MP4 file that was not playing before to check if the codec installation was successful.
Change the Video Output Settings:
Changing the video output settings can help fix the issue.
For example, go to Tools > Preferences > Video and change the video output settings to a different option like DirectX or OpenGL.
Convert the File to a Different Format:
If none of the above solutions work, try converting the MP4 file to a different format that VLC supports, such as AVI or MKV. You can use a video converter like HandBrake or Any Video Converter.
- Launch the VLC media player on your computer.
- Click on the Media
- Select Convert / Save
- Click the Add button and select the VLC not playingMP4 video file you want to convert.
- Select the output format and Click on Convert / Save
If you cannot play the video in VLC, Then your file mp4 video is corrupt, so it is essential to act quickly to repair MP4 damaged Mp4 File to avoid further damage with the video repair software.
Fix Corrupt MP4 Files Using Yodot MP4 Repair.
● Yodot MOV Repair application extracts the video and audio frames separately from a damaged video file and later attaches them to generate a playable video file.
● It quickly repairs VLC not playing Mp4 video files created by mobile phones, digital cameras, HD cameras, etc.
● Download the Yodot MOV Video Repair tool on your Windows.
● Windows users need to download the Windows version of Yodot Mp4 Repair to mend corrupt MP4 files on their PC
● Install and Run the application by following the steps shown on the screen
● When the first window opens, browse to select the desired MOV file corrupted that is to be repaired
● As you choose the Repair option, the software starts the scanning process to repair the selected MP4 file
Tips to Avoid Issues on VLC Player
Here are some tips to avoid issues while playing MP4 files on a VLC media player:
● Keep the VLC media player up-to-date: Ensure you have the latest version of the VLC media player installed on your computer. Older versions may have compatibility issues with some MP4 files.
● Check for codec updates: Install the latest ones on your computer to ensure the VLC media player can play all MP4 files.
● Download MP4 files from reliable sources: Download MP4 files from reliable sources to avoid downloading files that may be corrupted or have encoding issues.
● Use a video repair tool: If you have an MP4 file not playing on the VLC media player, use a video repair tool to fix the file before playing it on VLC.
● Close other applications: Close other applications running on your computer to free up resources and ensure the VLC media player has enough processing power to play the MP4 file smoothly.
1. Why is VLC playing videos with poor quality?
VLC may misplay videos due to low resolution, incorrect video output settings, or outdated graphics drivers. You can change the video output settings or update the graphics drivers.
2. Why is VLC playing videos with audio out of sync?
VLC may play videos with audio out of sync due to a damaged or corrupted video file, incorrect audio sync settings, or a delay in the audio track. You can repair the video file or adjust the audio sync settings.
3. How can I play videos in VLC smoothly?
You can play videos in VLC smoothly by closing other applications on your computer, disabling hardware acceleration, using a lightweight video player, or reducing the video resolution.