It is pretty frustrating when you open your PowerPoint file, and it shows like “this PPTX file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action.” It is because the current version of PowerPoint does not support your file extension, or the updated PowerPoint application is not compatible with opening the file. If you directly open the ppt file from the outlook attachment, also this problem occurs. Let us see how to fix the file association problem in PowerPoint files.
Every PC will have a default application to open a file type. Irrespective of file format, the application will open the associated file type. Similarly, PowerPoint applications can open PPTX or PPT file types. The PowerPoint file should open only with the PPTX or PPT file types. If it opens in an irrelevant file type, there is a file association problem with the PowerPoint.
The PowerPoint file cannot be opened if the application does not allow the ppt file to open. In a scenario like this, try the open with option to access your PowerPoint file. Follow the below-mentioned steps on how to use the open with option.
- Head to File Explorer on your Windows system and then go to the folder where the ppt file resides.
- Right-click > select Open with > Choose another app.
- Click the PowerPoint application from the checklist.
- Later click on the check box that shows “Always use this app to open .pptx files” > click on OK.
Fix the file association problem in PowerPoint files by appointing PowerPoint as the default application to open the .PPT.PPTX files. It will not only open the file type to the associated application. It also fixes the file association problem in PowerPoint files. Follow the below-mentioned steps to set up the PowerPoint application as mandatory to open .PPT or.PPTX files:
- Type Default Apps in the Search Box. Or go to Settings> Apps> Default Apps.
- On the Default Apps section, select Choose default Apps by File type.
- In the next window, scroll down until you reach .ppt and .pptx, and select the “+” sign on the file type. Then, select PowerPoint from the list.
- Now check whether the file opens in the PowerPoint application.
Follow the steps below to change the PPTX file association registry.
- Launch the PowerPoint Presentation.
- Click on the File tab, and scroll down to see the Options. And Click on the Options.
- A window will pop up, click on Trust Center and then Trust Center settings.
- Choose the File Block setting, which is available on the left side, and click on the check box Legacy Converters to open the ppt file.
- Finally, change the PPTX file association registry by clicking on OK.
After trying the open with option, default apps to open the PowerPoint file and changing the file association registry also, suppose the ppt file is not opening with the associated application. Then your PowerPoint file may be corrupted or damaged. In this kind of scenario, it’s always recommended to use a PowerPoint repair tool like the Yodot PowerPoint repair tool to fix corrupted or damaged ppt files.
The advanced algorithm of The Yodot Powerpoint repair tool will fix all kinds of ppt issues. Download and follow the steps to recover your damaged or corrupted PowerPoint file:
Step 1: After installing the Yodot PowerPoint repair tool, you just launch the software and click on Browse to select the PowerPoint file you want to repair.
Step 2: Click on Repair to start the repair process, and the file will be repaired quickly.
Step 3: Click here To Preview File to view the repaired file.
Step 4: Select the drive or folder to Save the repaired PowerPoint file.
This article will help you to fix your file association problem in PowerPoint files by getting you to know what caused the issues and methods to fix them. If you can’t fix the problems manually, use the Yodot PowerPoint repair tool to fix your damaged or corrupted ppt file. Please let us know in the comment section if you have any questions related to this article.